Wednesday, October 11, 2006
First Timer
For the first time in my teaching career I had to give a student a detention. And I really hated doing it but he left me little choice. He was totally disrespectful, refused to participate, distracted others around him and had a terrible attitude. It came down to me telling him I would give him study hall if he didn't behave (this is a grade 7 student) and he was like "so what?" Then he talked to me in such a rude manner I said "Do you want a study hall" and he was like "I don't care" So I said "Ok, you have study hall tomorrow." And then I moved him up front. And he said "I'm not going to clap" (it was a band class) And I said, you know what, you make your own decisions. I can't force you to do anything, but if you are making the decision not to get involved, you better not distract those that are chosing to be involved. Sit there quietly then." And he did. It sucked though. I have never had to do that before and I really didn't like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
it might be hard, but you did the right thing. that kid needs to learn a little respect for his elders. poor guy probably has a rough home life, but you definitely did the best thing for him teneale. love em.
I know how you feel babe...sometimes I have to break out the angry voice too and I don't know if the boys know how much I hate to do it. But Emily is right, kids need that every once in a while. You are doing such a great job and it is awesome to be able to keep up with your growth as a teacher.
Love Christina
Keep laying the smack down, Teneale. Consequences are a huuge part of life, and learning that cause >>> effect can be enormously useful to some of these kids. It's difficult for you, but it's worse for buddy in the long run. Thanks for making the world a place with better individuals.
Good call Teneale! Itsucks having to carry through, but that in itself is a teaching lesson. Testing the boundaries is a normal manifestation of the brain development process for his age, never mind throwing 'life at home' situations that add to the attitude. Hang on, love gently, consistently, and sometimes firmly, and you'll go far, and you know what? It may be a life lesson that is never forgotten for that individual.
Why am I commenting? I see and talk with you every day. Ouch don't poke me! Oh please not the frying pa... zzzZZZzzzZZZ
Hey Teneale..
..and here I thought you treated Rob so well. The frying pan is a pretty desparate means to get him to do what you want him to do, don't you think? Poor guy! Or are you taking your frustrations out on your man that you were "not allowed" to do at school for discipline? hee hee
Sounds like you are getting a few challenges. And you seem to be handling them quite well. Good for you. You go, girl!
Have a great week! Love you,
Auntie D.
Post a Comment